Thursday, October 15, 2009

Virgin Mary Soup

Inspired by the Curry Club Indian Vegetarian Cookbook and some sad looking celery in the bottom of the fridge and a somewhat seasonal 11-weeks pregnant craving for soup, I made some virgin Mary soup for lunch. It was so nice my husband has crowned me "queen of soup" and says I may make it again - sorry there's no photo at this moment in time, but I may amend this later.

Virgin Mary Soup
1 small bunch celery, chopped fine
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, crushed
1tbs olive oil
1 1/4 pints tomato juice
1 can chopped tomatoes
1tbs Worcestershire sauce
1tbs Tabasco chipotle sauce
Tabasco hot pepper sauce to taste
Seasoning to taste

Sweat the celery, onion and garlic, in the olive oil until soft. Poor in the tomato juice, the can of chopped tomatoes, season with the Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco and simmer until hot. Season to taste and eat with yummy bread or, even better, cheese scones.

Made a lovely autumny tomato soup and was all with ingredients from the cupboard - even better. I guess if you haven't got the chipotle sauce, you could add some smoked paprika in with the vegetables or add some smoked salt for seasoning (although I didn't add any extra salt, as I thought there was enough in the Worcestershire sauce), but the smoked taste did add a lovely rich taste. I was going to add some red pepper too, but they had gone over too much and got fed to the worms instead!

No comments: